[ovirt-devel] Packaging: Rationale for some split packages

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 10:08:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Piotr Kliczewski
<piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Milan Zamazal <mzamazal at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I work on inclusion of Vdsm into Debian.  I don't know what are the
>> reasons for having separate `infra', `xmlrpc', `yajsonrpc', and
>> `jsonrpc' packages.
>>

> - infra package contains infra related modules like zombiereaper,
> sygutils (core infra utils)

There is no technical reason to have this package, it should be merge
into vdsm-python.

> - xmlrpc package contains xmlrpc binding code (optional and can be
> disabled in config.py)
>   this package will be removed once we decide to drop xmlrpc

Hopefully we can drop this after 4.0

> - jsonrpc package contains jsonrpc binding code (optional and can be
> disabled in config.py)
>   this package is required to process jsonrpc based rpc calls

This is not optional in 3.6, there is no reason to have it as separate
package,  should be
merged into vdsm-python.

> - yajsonrpc package contains stomp related server side code (required for rpc)

Same, no reason to have this as separate package, should be merge into
vdsm-python

> - api package contains vdsm and gluster (optionally) schemas and code
> to process them
>   used for rpc validation required by jsonrpc

This package may be needed by vdsm clients, so it should be a separate package.

We have too many packages, which make installation and upgrade harder
for no reason.
Lets simplify packaging for 4.0.

We require the same version of all vdsm-xxx packages - upgrading only
one package is
not supported or tested.

Nir