[ovirt-devel] Changing the name of VDSM in oVirt 4.0.

Piotr Kliczewski piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:34:40 UTC 2016

I think that ovirt- prefix is good idea but vdsm is much more than an agent
and as Vinzenz pointed it could be confused with guest agent.

Nir suggested ovirt-host or ovirt-hostd which seems like good idea.
Supervdsm could be ovirt-host-priv or ovirt-host-privd and our replacement
for vdsClient could be ovirt-host-ctl or ovirt-host-cli.

Different components in a solution should have freedom of using its own
versioning approach. Each component would change differently so
versions would change at different times.

Currently vdsm is using 4.x versioning and next release would be 4.x so
I worried about confusion we create for users. I understand that is not a
problem from technological point of view.