[ovirt-devel] [Call for Vote] moVirt as a Full oVirt Project

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 20:08:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Michal Skrivanek <mskrivan at redhat.com>

> > On 21 Nov 2016, at 19:48, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> From: "Eyal Edri" <eedri at redhat.com>
> >> To: "Vojtech Szocs" <vszocs at redhat.com>

We won't know until we'll try right? fact is no one asked for it until now..

> What artifacts? The final APK? Why? It's not a yum repo.

The fact we're only hosting RPMs (not entirely right, we host images as
well) doesn't mean we can't host anything else, we're actually working on
support for building/deploying containers.
I'm sure we can find a way if the project owner wants it.

> No
> That should never be imposed on any new project. If someone loves slow
> outdated tools, so be it, but for new projects I again do not see us
> promoting it in future

I agree this point is less relevant, and each project can handle his own
tracking ( but again, if he will want to be released as part of oVirt and
not independently, then I'm not sure he'll have a choice but to align )

> hosted
> Gerrit).
> >>>

> >> Any project in oVirt gerrit can be mirrored to GitHub, and most of them
> are
> >> ( see github.com/oVirt )
>
> We do mirror it IIRC (or it may have been cockpit-ovirt), it's just the
> other way around - the master copy is at github

> allow
> >>>

> >> We are supporting it, Lago is an example of such project.

> via
> >>>

> >> I don't think its a must, but its highly recommended IMO, and will help
> the
> >> project grow.
> >> Imagine this scenario:
> >>
> >> the project grows and uses its own CI/testing frameworks and reaches a
> >> point it wants to join the oVirt eco-system,
> >> At that point it will be much harder to integrate it if at all, assuming
> >> the tools he's been using were not aligned with
> >> the tooling other projects are using.
> >>
> >> Also - in terms of release process, its will be very hard to include it
> in
> >> an official oVirt release if he wishes to do so,
> >> as all oVirt projects are built in the current infra and shipped as a
> >> single repository.
>
> You're missing the point it's not a yum repo.

See my comments above on supporting other artifacts than rpms.

I think you're missing the point of the advantages such a project can get
by joining, instead of managing its infra himself ( if it has any ),
It gets a massive CI/CD infrastructure already built and working, and will
be able to do integration / testing with a real oVirt instance (using OST
for e.g).

> > Eyal, I agree with your points.
> >
> > I just wanted to point out the possibility of hosting project's
> > sources on GitHub (point 1 from Barak's list). And as you wrote,
> > Lago is a good example of such project.
> >
> > Using standard oVirt CI infra & tools (points 2 & 3 from Barak's
> > list) should be mandatory for all oVirt projects, to keep things
> > manageable from build/release perspective. Full agreement here.
> >
> > As for bug tracking (point 4 from Barak's list), I see Lago using
> > GitHub's issue tracking interface, so this should be OK too..
> >
> > In general, I'd say that moVirt maintainers should clearly voice
> > their vision on converging (or not) towards points 1,2,3,4 that
> > Barak has mentioned in his email.
>
> I would say no. And that is fine
>

> > For me, having source code & issues on GitHub, but using standard
> > oVirt CI infra & tools, is still acceptable for an oVirt project,
> > but it's just my own opinion.
>
> I agree we can mix and match, though in this case I'm not sure how
> realistic is to run CI for an APK

I'm pretty sure that if we wanted to check that option, it will be possible
even if by using emulators, but no one from the project has ever approached
us so I can't really say anything before I see requirements.
I tend not to rule out anything I haven't verified possible before.