[ovirt-devel] [HEADS UP] ovift-engine: repository closure check on check-patch

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 07:58:30 UTC 2017

On 25 February 2017 at 17:57, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:

> OST come into play too late, with patch already merged and dep tree broken.

check_patch is too early - before a repo has been composed.

There is quite a bit of repo composition logic in the CI system,
trying to imitate it with outside sources will probably lead to the
wrong results.

repo closure is a system-level test, it does not belong in check-patch IMO.

> It will avoid the rpm to be published but it will fail the subsequent ost
> hiding other issues. Any suggestion on how to avoid it? Run OST in check
> patch?

Currently this is unavoidable for all system-level regressions, but we
are making big efforts to close loops there as fast as possible.

Change gating is the long-term technical solution for this. It will
both prevent subsequent OST runs from failing, and will allow accurate
regression source detection. We've made progress with in in recent
months. You are welcome to go and review the patch that implements the
change tracking logic, it is in your review queue....

Once we have change gating, up and running, we will be able to move to
the 2nd stage of applying it to select projects pre-merge. Engine will
most probably be one of the projects this is applied to.

>  I haven't merged the patches because I wanted feedback like this, thanks
> Barack.

Thanks for consulting with us.
One nitpick - "Barack" is how the former POTUS spells it, I spell it "Barak".

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com
RHCE, RHCi, RHV-DevOps Team