[ovirt-devel] Adding s390 support to oVirt

Dan Horák dhorak at redhat.com
Fri Nov 24 09:20:09 UTC 2017

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:05:06 +0100
Viktor Mihajlovski <mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 21.11.2017 11:26, Dan Horák wrote:
> [...]
> >> qemu s390x emulation does not work with code compiled for z12.
> >> Would a real virtual machine be what you need?
> >> The Fedora team DOES have access to a z13. Not sure how much
> >> resources are available, but can you contact Dan Horak (on cc) if
> >> there is enough spare capacity.
> >
> > Christian is right, we have a publicly accessible guest running
> > Fedora on the Marist College z13 mainframe. It's currently used by
> > ~5 projects (for example glibc and qemu) as their build and CI
> > host, so adding another project depends how intensive ovirt's usage
> > would be.
> As a first step one could only build the packages needed for the KVM
> host. At this point in time that would be vdsm and ovirt-host, both
> are building rather quickly.
> It should be possible to ensure that only these are built on a s390
> system using appropriate node filters.

I would say there are still 2 options how to build "add-on" packages
that install/run on top of Fedora and it depends whether they create
dependency chains or are standalone.

For standalone packages (= their Buildrequires can be resolved solely
from the Fedora repos) one can use scratch builds koji and grab the
results (= rpms) when the build finishes.

For packages with dependency chains is using an own "builder" machine
required. The mock tool is capable of managing a repo with built rpms,
so it shouldn't be difficult to achieve on our public guest.

		Dan