[Engine-devel] Task cancelation feature

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 17:15:07 UTC 2012

VDSM tasks are changing to something completely different.
It's still under discussion but the general direction is that:
- TaskIDs will be decided by the caller.
- VDSM can start tasks on it's own
- There will be no distinction between async tasks and sync tasks. Everything is always async.
- There will be no cleanTask() when tasks are done they return result to the caller and disappear immediately.

Also, some stuff you consider tasks will no longer be tasks any more.
For instance, copying and image will finish successfully once VDSM registers the operation for with the storage subsystem and creates the image handle.
After that the status of the copy is bound to the status of the new image and is tracked that way.
This means that the thing you track when you do copyImage() is actually the creation of the image handle and the metadata to make it usable.
After that is done any host can query the state of the new image by using the image ID and not the task Id which was deprecated.
This will be true for all storage operations.