[Engine-devel] move disk command

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 19:26:48 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 01/16/2012 05:26 PM, Jon Choate wrote:
> > As part of the multiple storage domains feature there will be new
> > functionality added to allow users to move individual disks.
> >
> > What are the prerequisites for moving a disk?
> >
> > 1) the disk must exist
> > 2) the associated VM must be down
>
> this can't just be a CanDoAction check - the lock has to be real to
> prevent a race from starting the VM after the validation.

Either down or disk is unplugged.

> > 3) the associated VM must not be locked
> > 4) the source storage domain must exist
> > 5) the source storage domain must be available
> > 6) the target domain must exist
> > 7) the target domain must be available
> > 8) the target domain must have adequate disk space
> > 9) the target domain cannot be an ISO or export domain
> > 10) the source domain cannot be an ISO or export domain

This may be unrelated, but user would be allowed to export and import a floating disk, right?
I would like the ability to import *any* disk in the export domain as a floating disk, but in the least, export and import disks not associated with a VM.

> user must provide same/other quota for the target domain which has
> enough quota left for the requested size.
>

> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Also, should we allow the moving of a template disk that has VM
> > disks based on it? Unless I'm wrong this would require all of the
> > disks based on the template to be moved as well.
>
> I'd say no. you can only move a template disk if it is not used.
> I'd go further and say one should copy the template disk and delete,
> rather than support move for it at all (not relevant for VM disk,
> since
> we don't have the same concept of multiple copies for it).

As long as you can delete a copy of the disk from a domain where there are no VM disks derived from it.