[Engine-devel] ovirt core MOM

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 19:19:03 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 01/20/2012 11:42 PM, Miki Kenneth wrote:

Yes, but this all goes to template versioning (which is great and we need).
For the user though, creating a new template version like you described would be a long and wasteful process, and is not what I'm talking about.

Unless we support nested templates (second template would be a snapshot over the first one), then we're likely to require way too much space and creation process would be too slow (having to copy over all the bits).
I think the pool example is an excellent example where I would not want to have 2 copies of the template where the only difference between them is a set of security patches I've applied to the new template.

So the 2 options are for what I'm suggesting are:
1. decommission the old template by making in place changes
2. support template snapshots

Again, need to put the emphasis on fast provisioning of templates and VMs.
Applying updates to a pool should be a breeze (e.g. an automatic monthly process that unseals the template, updates it and reseals it).