[Engine-devel] Build and run with Fedora 17 jboss-as packages

Juan Hernandez juan.hernandez at redhat.com
Thu May 31 11:15:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

The changes required to build and run the engine using the jboss-as
packages in Fedora 17 have been recently merged:

http://gerrit.ovirt.org/4416

This means that from now on in order to install the RPMs you will need a
Fedora 17 machine.

In addition this also changes how the application server is used. We
have been running the engine as an application deployed to the default
instance of the application server. Starting now the engine will run a
private instance of the application server owned by the user ovirt ovirt
and managed by systemd, so please remember that you don't longer
need/should start the jboss-as service, but the ovirt-engine systemd
service:

   systemctl start ovirt-engine.service
   systemctl stop ovirt-engine.service

The locations of the files/directories used by this private instance of
the application server are also different:

1. You are probably familiar with the standalone.xml file. This is no
longer used, we use the /etc/ovirt-engine/engine-service.xml instead.

2. The location of the engine.ear file is still the same
(/usr/share/ovirt-engine/engine.ear), but the deployment marker file
engine.ear.dodeploy is not created in the same directory. Instead of
that a symlink to the engine.ear file is created in
/var/lib/ovirt-engine/deployments directory and the engine.ear.dodeploy
file is created there by the start/stop script.

3. Locations of log files are also slightly different. The main log file
is still /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine.log, but the server.log file is no
longer in the jboss-as directory, but in /var/log/ovirt-engine as well.
In addition there is a /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log file that
stores the standard and error output of the engine.

There are other changes, but probably less relevant to most of you.

I made many tests, but I am sure that issues will appear, so please keep
an eye on this and let me know of any issues you may encounter.

Regards,
Juan Hernandez