[Engine-devel] Build and run with Fedora 17 jboss-as packages

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu May 31 14:23:21 UTC 2012

First issue that you will find in your dev environment is that when you
run "mvn install -Psetup" it will copy to your ${jbossHome}/modules
directory some modules that will not work, as they are only needed with
the jboss-as package in Fedora 17. In order to avoid that you need to
apply this patch:

http://gerrit.ovirt.org/4947

On 05/31/2012 01:15 PM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The changes required to build and run the engine using the jboss-as
> packages in Fedora 17 have been recently merged:
>
> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/4416
>
> This means that from now on in order to install the RPMs you will need a
> Fedora 17 machine.
>
> In addition this also changes how the application server is used. We
> have been running the engine as an application deployed to the default
> instance of the application server. Starting now the engine will run a
> private instance of the application server owned by the user ovirt ovirt
> and managed by systemd, so please remember that you don't longer
> need/should start the jboss-as service, but the ovirt-engine systemd
> service:
>
>     systemctl start ovirt-engine.service
>     systemctl stop ovirt-engine.service
>
> The locations of the files/directories used by this private instance of
> the application server are also different:
>
> 1. You are probably familiar with the standalone.xml file. This is no
> longer used, we use the /etc/ovirt-engine/engine-service.xml instead.
>
> 2. The location of the engine.ear file is still the same
> (/usr/share/ovirt-engine/engine.ear), but the deployment marker file
> engine.ear.dodeploy is not created in the same directory. Instead of
> that a symlink to the engine.ear file is created in
> /var/lib/ovirt-engine/deployments directory and the engine.ear.dodeploy
> file is created there by the start/stop script.
>
> 3. Locations of log files are also slightly different. The main log file
> is still /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine.log, but the server.log file is no
> longer in the jboss-as directory, but in /var/log/ovirt-engine as well.
> In addition there is a /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log file that
> stores the standard and error output of the engine.
>
> There are other changes, but probably less relevant to most of you.
>
> I made many tests, but I am sure that issues will appear, so please keep
> an eye on this and let me know of any issues you may encounter.
>
> Regards,
> Juan Hernandez

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain