[Engine-devel] Shipping settings.xml in oVirt engine's git repo (was RE: maven settings.xml in building ovirt engine wiki)

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 08:14:02 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

First thing... I don't like changing global state of a machine only because we require some setting...

So copying <ANYTHING> to ~/.m2 is completely wrong in my opinion.

There is -gs parameter for maven to specify alternate settings file, I strongly recommend people use it.

Also, as far as I understand we only need some attributes defined... It is simple to use:

$ export MAVEN_OPTS="-Dwhatever=value -Dwhatever=value"

Before executing eclipse or make...

We can also integrate the environment variables idea into the maven build, instead of using properties use environment variables... then before executing build we:

$ export JBOSS_HOME=
$ export OVIRT_JDK_HOME= (optional)

If anyone prefers/chooses to use settings.xml he can create his own...

So there are so many options, the last option is to use settings.xml in my opinion... not that I against adding this template, but I first suggest we consider removing its usage completely.... :)

Regards,
Alon