[Engine-devel] [vdsm] Snapshots with RAM feature

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 14:16:42 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> On 9 Apr 2013, at 10:01, Arik Hadas <ahadas at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The proposed feature will make it possible to run a VM which was reverted
> > to live snapshot
> > or created from live snapshot with the same memory state as it was at the
> > moment the live
> > snapshot was taken.
> >
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/RAM_Snapshots
> >
> > All feedback is welcome!
> Nice!
> Perhaps on "Run VM" - how about instead of giving an option on start we'd
> have the possibility to strip the saved ram in snapshot beforehand? And keep
> the run logic as always start with ram when it exists.

Yes, it makes sense to keep the run vm process short and simple by using the
logic you propose and not to display any dialog in the process.

An alternative approach for the removal of the ram from the snapshot can be
to display a check box in the clone vm from snapshot dialog so that
the user will be able to select whether to take the memory from the snapshot
or not. and in the preview snapshot process to display a dialog with such
check box also. that way we will be able to create both with memory state and
without memory state VMs from snapshot that contains memory state.

> Also it is important to discard the ram on all forms of Run VM. Better
> discard it on error than mistakenly rerun with ram twice

Absolutely, we should ensure that we remove the ram from the VM configuration
if there's a chance that either the disks or the memory was changed since the
VM was created from/reverted to the snapshot.