[Engine-devel] Engine local configuration

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Jan 1 10:17:33 UTC 2013

On 01/01/2013 10:51 AM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]

As I mentioned on my first response to this thread I have been working
on trying to make the build system able to install the engine to a
directory chosen by the developer, and without root permissions. This is
the patch that I prepared for that, please take a look at the commit
message:

http://gerrit.ovirt.org/10539

The idea is that the developer can chose a directory and then just run
the following:

  ./make.py --build --install --devel --target /that/directory

Even the complexity of this command line can be hidden in a make target,
or made the default, so the developer will only need to run something
like this:

  make install

This will prepare an environment similar to the production environment,
with the same directory structure (except the /that/directory prefix)
where the engine can run, so to start it the developer only needs to go
to that directory and execute the same script that we use in production
environments:

  cd /that/directory/usr/bin
  ./engine-service start

This will also automatically configure the engine for remote debugging
(adding ENGINE_DEBUG_ADDRESS=0.0.0.0:8787 to the configuration) so that
the developer can connect to the engine with her/his favorite IDE and
start debugging immediately.

The make.py script also includes options to create Eclipse project files
and to configure the Eclipse workspace, which I think is very useful,
specially for new developers:

  ./make.py --eclipse-projects

That creates the .project and .classpath files for Eclipse and adds the
required variables to the workspace, so after that all what the
developer has to do to start working is open Eclipse and import the
projects.

The patch is not yet ready to merge, as there are a few missing things,
like changing the ownership of files when running as root, but I would
appreciate if you can test it.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain