[Engine-devel] jpa annotations

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Jan 13 13:16:01 UTC 2013

Yes it was done a couple of year ago but never made it past a "POC" state.

> It's not a case of finishing it, it's a case of redoing it.
> These annotations are not being maintainted anymore, and a large
> percent of them are now irrelevant.

Indeed, they are mostly getting in the way and interfering with understanding the code..

As I see it there are 3 options:
 1. Do nothing and just live with them.
 2. Remove them completely and all hibernate related work.
 3. Write DAOs that work with hibernate and start using them.

For me #1 is not that great since currently it's just garbage that sits there unmaintained..
I would like to see #3 happen but I think that it's easier to do #2 first, and then each DAO can be treated separately (there's already the infrastructure for that in place).

I know it might seem wasteful to do #2 instead of #3 but:
 * We don't have anyone to pick up #3 and work on it to get it to a good state.
 * The hibernate work that's been done is really cross product, but I don't see why we wouldn't do it in an iterative way instead of forcing all DAOs to switch in one fell swoop..
 * The work that has been done, is not that much that we would "cry" over deleting it..

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Mike