[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: New Storage API

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 21:56:05 UTC 2013

> > From: "Deepak C Shetty" <deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> > To: "Saggi Mizrahi" <smizrahi at redhat.com>
> > Cc: "Shu Ming" <shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com>, "engine-devel"
> > <engine-devel at ovirt.org>, "VDSM Project Development"
> > <vdsm-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org>, "Deepak C Shetty"
> > <deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> > Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:40:01 PM
> > Subject: Re: [vdsm] RFC: New Storage API
> >
> > On 12/08/2012 01:23 AM, Saggi Mizrahi wrote:

Saggi, there are several different discussions going on here which I think require some clearing up (and perhaps splitting).
what I think is missing here:
1. distinction of what we believe should be at repo level and what at disk level
    e.g. pre/postZero at repo level, native snapshots as described above would also be repo level (not defined per disk) etc.
2. how/where storage offload would work? is there a single implementation for repos which detects automatically storage capabilities or repo class for each storage type
3. and biggest topic is probably - a mapping of the image operations and details about the flows (did you send something about that?) - i.e. create vdisk flow, copy, etc.