[Engine-devel] Time to move to 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

Laszlo Hornyak lhornyak at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 17:43:34 UTC 2013

Hi Alon,

> The maven version is not exposed to the outside world, for all I know
> it can be 0.0.0 for all past and future versions.

Not that I want to join the flamewar :) but the maven version should be exposed to the outside world when we publish maven artifacts. I think the best candidate is the rest-api client, but also (in the future) backend plugin projects. I do not think java developers will want to resolve those artifacts from RPM packages... on Mac os X for example.

0.0.0 will not be OK for all the versions, because it will not be refreshed after its first succesful download. I think you know this, since you created and published into the ovirt maven repo at sonatype for otopi.

> Creating a relation between the maven version and the packaging
> version and not vise versa was what I discussed before you applied
> this patch, and you are CC on the discussions regarding that.
> I would have preferred we set proper versioning scheme for 3.3.0 for
> the entire package.
> Of course we can fix everything, remove the published snapshots, and
> start over, I would have liked to avoid that.

Why don't you just send a patch that fixes the linux packaging issue?

Than you,
Laszlo