Security issues when running gerrit patches on jenkins

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Wed Aug 1 13:56:44 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 09:50 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:35:39AM -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
>>> you mean instead of putting it on a wiki page?
>>> yes, make sense to maintain a .txt file per project with the whitelist in it.
>> Actually makes a lot more since.  That allows the projects the
>> ability to manage there own list.
> Can't we extract this from an authors file? Looking at vdsm/AUTHORS[1]
> it looks fairly easy.
That would be a bad idea.  All someone would need to do is add
themselves to that list?

> Another thing I can imagine is that someone is not whitelisted but
> his/her patch receives recieves a +1 from a whitelisted reviewer it can
> be built as well. It would be built anyway if it gets accepted and now
> jenkins can give -1 if it fails unit tests. Maybe at +2, but that leaves
> very little time to actually build it because often it will get merged
> straight away.
That does sound useful once someone not on the white list gets a +1 it
auto test as we can assume anyone reviewing is trusted enough to not +1
a dangerous patch.  Of curse this adds even more complexity in a
plug-in.  Although not specific enough to make the plug-in not reusable.
> [1]: http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=vdsm.git;a=blob;f=AUTHORS;hb=HEAD

Thanks
Robert Middleswarth
@rmiddle (twitter/IRC)