Moving Jenkins master ASAP

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Tue Aug 7 16:20:50 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 11:47 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On 07/31/2012 07:44 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>> We need to pick a new hosting solution for jenkins.ovirt.org.
> Itamar gave us this more direct list of what we need for hosting:
>
> We currently have:
> - - Jenkins master
> - - Gerrit
> - - 2 fc17 jenkins slaves
> - - 2 rhel 6 jenkins slaves
>
> "For gerrit I'd like a quad core, 8-16 GB RAM with decent IO from disk."
>
> "For jenkins master - quad core, 8-16GB RAM, a few disks for IO"
ovirt.info Jenkins is based on a pair of Dual quad core CPU's with 16G
of ram and non raided sata disks.  The master is centos 6.3 and the
slave is fedora 17.  Between the two they are handling all the same
build jobs as ovirt.org in about half the time.  The reason why is 2
fold.  1) the signal sata drive is much faster then the EC2 storage so
the IO waits are limited on ovirt.info comparied to ovirt.org.  2 My
master and slave are on the same gigabit network. So moving around files
are 10x to 100x faster then ovirt.org.

> "Jenkins slaves - depends on pricing i guess, but we need quite a few
> of these to run the jobs."
>
> Are minimum need is:
>
> * A new bare metal host for Jenkins master.
> * A new bare metal or VM host for Gerrit.
> * 4 VMs for Jenkins slaves
Ovirt.info tell me that a solid master with 16G of ram should be able to
run 6 jobs and still feed several slaves so you could drop the 2 RHEL
6.x slaves and just need 2 slaves for Fedora 17 builds plus a VM to
replace the small Linode instance.

> I'm going to see what we can do with ~$150/mon, with the idea that we
> could replace the relatively small Linode instance we're spending
> ~$40/mon on currently.
>
> A crazy idea - should we move the master to jenkins.ovirt.info right
> away to get the performance boost, as a stop-gap until we get a
> dedicated host in a datacenter? (Just trying to make us not dependent
> on Robert's house as if it's a datacenter.)
I am open to this.  It is my home so there is no backup generator or isp
but my connection is 70/35M so it should be able to support jenkins
needs.  I have already given eedri root access to jenkins.ovirt.info
incase that is a question in anyone mind.

Thanks
Robert

> - - Karsten
> - --
> Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Analyst - Community Growth
> http://TheOpenSourceWay.org  .^\  http://community.redhat.com
> @quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'  gpg: AD0E0C41

Thanks
Robert Middleswarth