Moving Jenkins master ASAP

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Tue Aug 7 16:46:26 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 12:29 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 06:53:02PM +0300, Itamar Heim wrote:
>>> Itamar gave us this more direct list of what we need for hosting:
>>>
>>> We currently have:
>>> - - Jenkins master
>>> - - Gerrit
>>> - - 2 fc17 jenkins slaves
>>> - - 2 rhel 6 jenkins slaves
>> these are the slaves we currently have - we need many more to run CI
>> on patches.
I don't believe we are going to get increased performance out of jenkins
until we replace the master.  Jenkins load avg is huge during normal
operations just tiring to keep up with the slaves it has.  There are
offers out there to add slaves and that might be an option but the
master just can't keep up.  It is barely keeping up with it current
load.  Until the master is addressed there is only so much we can do
with our current builds.
> Please remember that on more powerful hardware you can do more and EC2
> is seriously underpowered compared to what you pay.
Don't disagree.  EC2 looks good on paper but the actual VM are way
underpowered for what they claim you get.

Thanks
Robert Middleswarth
@rmiddle (twitter/IRC)