vdsm hooks pages at ovirt.org

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 12:32:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 08:23 -0400, Dan Yasny wrote:

> [...]

ok, that will keep it within the current wordpress instance then, rather
than something outside it.

We can probably setup a separate redirect so that hooks.ovirt.org -->
ovirt.org/hooks.

> > The big questions:
> > * Who is doing the original design and content seeding?
>
> Myself, basing on the READMEs Shahar and other added to the hooks
>
> > * Who will own keeping things up to date going forward?
>
> We'll need a maintainer of course, depending on the amount of load,
> initially that will probably be me, but ultimately - someone dealing
> with hooks in vdsm devel, or someone maintaining the rest of the
> website

It will probably need to be a combination.  Website maintainers won't
necessarily know the correct content to update, but having the content
provided by developers and then updated would probably work.

> > It might make sense to initially put the content you want on a wiki
> > page, and then transition it to a static page long term.
>
> I'd rather take it directly to a separate page - there's nothing more
> permanent than the temporary

I would have proposed etherpad if that was already up and running, but
it's not currently.  I was purely proposing wiki as a very short term
staging environment.

> > As for the backend yum repo, that is pretty easily accomplished.  We
> > can
> > simply have a separate area in the releases for current vdsm hooks.
>
> Can you elaborate please? Where will the actual RPMs be taken from?

You tell me.  My thought is that this will mirror the current versions
in EPEL and/or Fedora.  My thought is that this is considered stable.

> > would assume that we'll want to keep that relatively stable and only
> > update manually when new versions are released.  We can also have
> > something like an "unstable" repo where nightly builds of the
> plugins
> > are uploaded.
>
> That can stay with the fedora based vdsm repos, we want the real
> consumables here IMO

OK, our nightly build repos should suffice for this then.

FWIW, this is already being done:

http://ovirt.org/releases/nightly/rpm/Fedora/17/noarch/

As things get added into the vdsm git repo and spec file, they'll get
auto-built nightly in jenkins and mirrored to this repository.
Currently, this includes:  faqemu, qemucmdline, and vhostmd.

Mike