vdsm hooks pages at ovirt.org

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 10:05:12 UTC 2012

Hi Karsten,

On 08/22/2012 07:55 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 08/22/2012 08:47 AM, Dan Yasny wrote:
>> Wiki pages are used by engineering, mainly to describe features and
>> projects. I really want the hooks to have a consumable look to them,
>> just like https://extensions.gnome.org/ or http://gallery.zimbra.com/
>> or marketplace.redhat.com
>>
>> This will have to be built, and will take a lot of effort, so I don't
>> expect too many changes there, once it's up and running, and the
>> entry barrier is negligible, compared to the amount of work I'll be
>> putting in there anyway.
>>
>> So if Wiki is the only choice, we'll have to use wiki, but if it's
>> possible to do this in a nicer, more mature-looking way, I'd rather
>> go there
>
> It's not that the wiki is the only choice, I just didn't see an
> explanation in the discussion as to why it won't suffice. I reckon I see
> your point now. My only concern is if you can get the design resources
> to make the look&feel. However, using WordPress at least gets you the
> same look&feel as the rest of the site (including when it is updated.)

Just to make it clear: the idea of VDSM hooks is that they're
downloadable pieces of software (if I understand correctly, they're
usually shell or Python scripts), so in my mind a wiki isn't really
appropriate - you want users to be able to upload new hooks, order
search results based on ratings and/or download statistics for hooks,
and features like tagging, ratings, comments on a hook and versioning
are appropriate and useful.

Cheers,
Dave.

--