Upgrading mediawiki

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 09:03:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

In my experience Mediawiki does a pretty good job of making the upgrade
process painless - they provide admin scripts that detect version
differences between software and databases, and auto-live-upgrade the
database when needed. Of course it's good policy to make a back-up of
both software and database to allow roll-back in the case of a problem
anyway... Upgrading Mediawiki is a similar experience to manually
upgrading Wordpress in terms of themes & extensions, if you have
experience with that.

Which extensions do we use?

Cheers,
Dave.

On 08/23/2012 10:57 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 08/23/2012 09:10 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently we're running a fairly old mediawiki version (1.16) and 1.19
>> is out (and in EPEL-6 as mediawiki119). Should we upgrade?
>
> Yes, that's come up in passing, although should we now be concerned
> about any security exploits on 1.16 to make us rush?
>
> Otherwise, who is interested in doing or helping with this?
>
> We also need to look to see:
>
> * Are there changes between the versions we need to prepare for?
> ** Database
> ** Extensions
> ** What else?
> * What are the upgrade steps?
> * How long should we plan an upgrade to take?
>
> - Karsten

Dave Neary
Community Action and Impact
Open Source and Standards Team, Red Hat