"Download" page: new design

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 15:19:48 UTC 2012

Hi Garrett,

On 08/22/2012 09:17 PM, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> First, a link to the mockup:
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/oVirt/website/mockup-1/download.html

I think it looks nice! It does raise a few questions, though.

<snip>

> ### Reasons to focus on an all-in-one "appliance" model ###
>
> Having one favored, easy-to-use download allows us to:
>
> * Eliminate the risks of things going wrong when a user sets up oVirt on
> their own system.
> * Isolate oVirt from the distribution kernel and subsystem changes in
> distributions which may break functionality.
> * Provide the latest and greatest features to oVirt users independent of
> waiting for distributions to play catch-up.
> * Test a known stack of software to ensure that oVirt works as intended.

In the mock-up there's a download link for "oVirt live image" - you
indicate here it's the all-in-one version, downloadable as a runnable
ISO liveCD. You also suggest that it should be possible to install oVirt
from that image.

My question is: do we have this? And if not, how much engineering work
would be required to create an image which allows you to run all-in-one
from a LiveCD, and also enable you to install both Engine and Node? And
how would that work? Specifically, how will it work with storage
domains, etc?

I realise you might not have the answers - but I don't think we have an
all-in-one DVD/CD image right now, never mind one which will handle all
of the finnicky things you need to do when installing an engine and
setting up nodes.

In any case, the design looks great! I just want to make sure we're
designing something we can deliver.

Thanks,
Dave.

--