"Download" page: new design

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 15:57:57 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 08:19 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> On 08/22/2012 09:17 PM, Garrett LeSage wrote:
>> First, a link to the mockup:
>> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/oVirt/website/mockup-1/download.html
>
> I think it looks nice! It does raise a few questions, though.

+1 this looks great

> <snip>
>
>> ### Reasons to focus on an all-in-one "appliance" model ###
>>
>> Having one favored, easy-to-use download allows us to:
>>
>> * Eliminate the risks of things going wrong when a user sets up oVirt on
>> their own system.
>> * Isolate oVirt from the distribution kernel and subsystem changes in
>> distributions which may break functionality.
>> * Provide the latest and greatest features to oVirt users independent of
>> waiting for distributions to play catch-up.
>> * Test a known stack of software to ensure that oVirt works as intended.
>
> In the mock-up there's a download link for "oVirt live image" - you
> indicate here it's the all-in-one version, downloadable as a runnable
> ISO liveCD. You also suggest that it should be possible to install oVirt
> from that image.
>
> My question is: do we have this? And if not, how much engineering work
> would be required to create an image which allows you to run all-in-one
> from a LiveCD, and also enable you to install both Engine and Node? And
> how would that work? Specifically, how will it work with storage
> domains, etc?

I've played around with creating an all in one live image. All the
needed packages on a livecd image, I can run engine-setup from the live
environment, and it looks like I can configure everything. I don't have
it all nailed down yet, and I'm finding that after making a certain
number of changes, packages downloaded, etc., in the live environment,
I'm running out of space. I'm not sure if there's a way to increase the
available space, like, if you boost the RAM, will the livecd
automatically provide you with more space?

After I do a bit more fiddling, I'll blog about it. Combined with the
vdsm-faqemu package and a couple config file tweaks, you would be able
to run it all in a VM (do everything, all the setup and storage config,
etc., just short of actually running a VM)

> I realise you might not have the answers - but I don't think we have an
> all-in-one DVD/CD image right now, never mind one which will handle all
> of the finnicky things you need to do when installing an engine and
> setting up nodes.
>
> In any case, the design looks great!

Again, +1 -- I'm stoked about these new designs.

Jason

I just want to make sure we're

--

@jasonbrooks