Hello all

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 20:10:25 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 02:05 PM, Alexander Rydekull wrote:
> I havnt really properly introduced myself. My name is Alexander Rydekull,
> can be seen at IRC as Rydekull. I am computer professional from Sweden with
> a big interest in Open Source.
>
> Professionally I work as a consultant for an IBM Premier Business Partner
> and also a Red Hat Partner(too mention a few partnerships) named EnjoyIT.
>
> I have been using Linux since 2001 and working with it in some form since
> 2004. I am a sysadmin by heart and I do not do programming, I script. I
> have experience from all kinds of different infrastructures, both small
> 1-box shops to large installations of 1000+ servers.
>
> I have offered to help out with the infrastructural parts of oVirt since
> like I mentioned before, I dont code, but I want to contribute to Open
> Source projects I believe in. oVirt certainly is one of those projects.
>
> I talked to quaid and he asked me to mail the list and introduce myself, so
> here I am.

Howdy! And welcome.

I was happy to see that you are interested in learning new tech. One of
the great things about being a sysadmin contributor to a FOSS project is
playing with technologies that you don't get to use in your regular
$dayjob work.

Rydekull is interested in learning about Gerrit. I think this is great,
because our Gerrit knowledge across this team is scant - it's mainly
Itamar who maintains it.

Itamar - what do you think about doing some knowledge transfer about
Gerrit to the rest of the Infra team? We could have a special
meeting/sprint on IRC to teach the basics, show how our setup is run
(which helps us get it better documented), talk about future plans, and
so forth. As Alexander is new, it would be good to figure out non-root
things that can be done. Such as:

* Improve "as-is" documentation.
* Write up standard procedures (SOP) for dealing with Gerrit.
* Review the scripts, backup procedures, how Jenkins interacts, etc.,
and suggest or build improvements.
* Work on the Puppet manifest for the future Gerrit host.
* Etc.

How does that all sound to folks?

- Karsten