Hello all

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 20:37:10 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 10:10 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 02:05 PM, Alexander Rydekull wrote:
>> I havnt really properly introduced myself. My name is Alexander Rydekull,
>> can be seen at IRC as Rydekull. I am computer professional from Sweden with
>> a big interest in Open Source.
>>
>> Professionally I work as a consultant for an IBM Premier Business Partner
>> and also a Red Hat Partner(too mention a few partnerships) named EnjoyIT.
>>
>> I have been using Linux since 2001 and working with it in some form since
>> 2004. I am a sysadmin by heart and I do not do programming, I script. I
>> have experience from all kinds of different infrastructures, both small
>> 1-box shops to large installations of 1000+ servers.
>>
>> I have offered to help out with the infrastructural parts of oVirt since
>> like I mentioned before, I dont code, but I want to contribute to Open
>> Source projects I believe in. oVirt certainly is one of those projects.
>>
>> I talked to quaid and he asked me to mail the list and introduce myself, so
>> here I am.
>
> Howdy! And welcome.
>
> I was happy to see that you are interested in learning new tech. One of
> the great things about being a sysadmin contributor to a FOSS project is
> playing with technologies that you don't get to use in your regular
> $dayjob work.
>
> Rydekull is interested in learning about Gerrit. I think this is great,
> because our Gerrit knowledge across this team is scant - it's mainly
> Itamar who maintains it.
>
> Itamar - what do you think about doing some knowledge transfer about
> Gerrit to the rest of the Infra team? We could have a special
> meeting/sprint on IRC to teach the basics, show how our setup is run
> (which helps us get it better documented), talk about future plans, and
> so forth. As Alexander is new, it would be good to figure out non-root
> things that can be done. Such as:
>
> * Improve "as-is" documentation.
> * Write up standard procedures (SOP) for dealing with Gerrit.

I hope to get to this in a few weeks, a bit overloaded right now.
gladly, UI is available for most tasks now (other than removing
duplicate users...)

> * Review the scripts, backup procedures, how Jenkins interacts, etc.,
> and suggest or build improvements.

this would be good. but actually i think you know more about this than i do?
other than the backup/security audit by you, i try to once a month also
take a snapshot backup and do yum update.
also from time to time, running git-exproll to improve performance of
the server.

> * Work on the Puppet manifest for the future Gerrit host.

I think i provided the steps i did for installing it, i can give them
again (i.e., i think we already wikified that part?)