oVirt site organization

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 13:46:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Support is a must, people look for this word.
Drop the community, as it has no sense, the whole ovirt is a community.

Open source project has usually several top most goals:

1. license - IMPORTANT artifact, it is one of the first things people are looking in open source project.

2. support - IMPORTANT artifact, mailing lists, bugzilla.

3. source - IMPORTANT artifacts, this is open source project, the source is the center of all activity.

> > We are missing "Source" category, a clear place of how to obtain
> > the source, as we do not have proper gitweb with list of projects,
> > at least link to http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/admin/projects/.
>
> On "Source" I don't really think it is a top-level menu item. There
> is a
> much better argument for "Support" or "Get help".

People should have immediate path to access the source in open source project, this is what it is about.

> There is a general ergonomics rule of thumb that top-level categories
> should not be more than 5 or 6, and not be fewer than 3 or 4 - even 6
> is
> giving the user a lot of choice and a lot of things to read, and if
> you
> only have 2 items, you're better off avoiding a header altogether and
> designing your page around those 2 categories. So I'm happy having
> "Get
> the source code" under "Develop" and under "Download".

I don't approve these ergonomics rules... If these rules makes the site unusable for me as a new comer, and I cannot find what I look for (which I do find in other similar sites), then something is wrong with these rules.

> We don't have a good page on getting the source code right now - the
> process is different for Node, Engine, VDSM, etc. This might be a
> good
> community project for someone.

It is master site design... not a separate project.

> > Community is not a proper word for "Mailing lists", first thing I
> > look is for "list" in the home page and I expect it to be there,
> > the term "Have conversations on our mailing lists" is not
> > something common although it may be good English.
> >
> > At http://www.ovirt.org/Mailing_lists, I expect the term "Full
> > index of mailing list" instead of "the oVirt mailman page".
> >
> > In the "the oVirt mailman page" we are missing vdsm lists.
>

> On the location of the mailing lists: The Community page could
> perhaps
> be improved. There is a lot of text right now, and we can definitely
> improve on it and make the actions available much more prominent.
> Suggestions are welcome!
>
> On the VDSM mailing lists being missing from the oVirt mailman page,
> this is a consequence of the list being hosted on fedorahosted -
> suggested improvements to the text are appreciated.

All source repositories and mailing list of ovirt should appear in ovirt.org.
This includes all related projects without exception.

Thanks,
Alon.