New hosting design

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 11:37:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 12/19/2012 08:49 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> This email is to kick-off the discussion about how we want to design our
> new hosting.
>
> Presuming the following:
>
> * 2 servers at AlterWay

For Alterway, we have one hardware server, and can request VMs. So I'm
assuming that "2 servers" here means 1 hardware server, and 1 VM?

> Ideas/points:
>
> * Migrate Mailman first - easy, crucial, gets jammed up on full Linode

what services are running on linode now?

I only know of Mailman, an apache for downloads. Are there other
services we need to host elsewhere? Database server, perhaps?

> ** Does Jenkins master want to own the entire box? Figuring yes ...

That was what we requested, and that's the current plan.

> ** Second host, which could be running Gerrit eventually, do we want
> that partitioned in to VMs? Or does Gerrit want the entire box? Figuring
> no ...

I'm not sure if we have a second dedicated host - would need to confirm
that with Kévin.

My understanding is that Mailman would be running in a VM, Gerrit could
run in a VM, and we would potentially have a number of Jenkins slave VMs.

> * Do we need a separate database?
> ** Does Jenkins or Gerrit use a db?

Gerrit definitely does. Where is the MediaWiki database running right
now - on OpenShift? On the main www host, or on a separate gear?

Thanks!
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13