New hosting design

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 20:37:15 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 03:37 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/19/2012 08:49 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>> This email is to kick-off the discussion about how we want to
>> design our new hosting.
>>
>> Presuming the following:
>>
>> * 2 servers at AlterWay
>
> For Alterway, we have one hardware server, and can request VMs. So
> I'm assuming that "2 servers" here means 1 hardware server, and 1
> VM?

OK, no worries about the final configuration, but I'm fairly sure that
it was two physical hosts (and that you keep remembering it as 1 host
and 1 VM.) Ultimately, we only need one bare metal server AIUI for
Jenkins, and we can use several VMs.

>> Ideas/points:
>>
>> * Migrate Mailman first - easy, crucial, gets jammed up on full
>> Linode
>
> what services are running on linode now?
>
> I only know of Mailman, an apache for downloads. Are there other
> services we need to host elsewhere? Database server, perhaps?

It sounds like we will need a database, and should consolidate. We ran
MySQL on the Linode, but we're using OpenShift for that now.

* IRC Bot
* Apache redirects
* Apache for resources.ovirt.org
* Mailman
* Backups

>> ** Does Jenkins master want to own the entire box? Figuring yes
>
> That was what we requested, and that's the current plan.
>
>> ** Second host, which could be running Gerrit eventually, do we
>> want that partitioned in to VMs? Or does Gerrit want the entire
>> box? Figuring no ...
>
> I'm not sure if we have a second dedicated host - would need to
> confirm that with Kévin.
>
> My understanding is that Mailman would be running in a VM, Gerrit
> could run in a VM, and we would potentially have a number of Jenkins
> slave VMs.

Yes, that's fine; and the VMs could be part of their oVirt cloud or
whatever.

>> * Do we need a separate database? ** Does Jenkins or Gerrit use a
>> db?
>
> Gerrit definitely does. Where is the MediaWiki database running
> right now - on OpenShift? On the main www host, or on a separate
> gear?

I think a separate gear, that's how OpenShift works AIUI.

I'm not sure we want to move the MediaWiki database to a different data
center than where MW runs, but it sounds as if it would be a good idea
to put a database on a private VLAN address for Gerrit to use.

- Karsten