New hosting design

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 15:55:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 12/20/2012 09:37 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 03:37 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
>>> * 2 servers at AlterWay
>>
>> For Alterway, we have one hardware server, and can request VMs. So
>> I'm assuming that "2 servers" here means 1 hardware server, and 1
>> VM?
>
> OK, no worries about the final configuration, but I'm fairly sure that
> it was two physical hosts (and that you keep remembering it as 1 host
> and 1 VM.) Ultimately, we only need one bare metal server AIUI for
> Jenkins, and we can use several VMs.

I remembered it as 1 bare metal and N VMs (Kevin's just confirmed that
you're correct, and my memory continues to play tricks on me). Thanks
for the correction.

> I'm not sure we want to move the MediaWiki database to a different data
> center than where MW runs, but it sounds as if it would be a good idea
> to put a database on a private VLAN address for Gerrit to use.

Makes sense to add a separate database rather than trying to shoe-horn
everything into one database.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13