Enabling Extension:ConfirmAccount

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 18:22:27 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just tried to create an account for the oVirt wiki and was kind of
surprised that to do so I had to contact someone who already had an
account. It seems like everyone who has an account can add new users, so
it looks like this is basically a spam avoidance policy. Is that right?

If that's the case, I'd like to suggest enabling the ConfirmAccount
extension http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount - which
can be configured to ask users for a username & email address, and their
bio/reasons for wanting to have an account. The request is then added to
a moderation queue, and anyone who is in the Bureaucrat role can approve
the account creation request.

To the user, this fits within the expected intimacy gradient. I plan on
blogging about the intimacy gradient which I talked about in my Ignite
talk at teh Red Hat Summit last week, I'll point people there then - the
basic idea is that you should not require people to have private
communications to get access to a semi-public resource like a wiki
account. In this case, you're making the request via a web page, and
although the end result is the same (a human checks if you're a human),
to the user it provides the same level of indirection as a Mailman
subscription page.

What do you think? Seems like something we could do easily.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary