[Users] What is it going to take to get EL6 builds?

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:02:21 UTC 2012

On Jul 5, 2012 5:05 PM, "Robert Middleswarth" <robert at middleswarth.net>
wrote:

> I know there are a few things that don't work under oVirt on EL6 but
there are unofficial builds out there and they seem to work pretty well.

> What is the major stopper from getting EL6 builds?  Is it just a mater of
getting patches submitted for building the spec files?  Is there a need for
EL 6 based slaves?  Is there a concern about the features that don't work
like Live Migration?

> I guess a good starting point is to build a todo list of what has to be
done.

> Thanks
> Robert

Based on personal attempts to rebuild ovirt for EL6 the biggest hurdle I
ran into is build dependencies.

Thanks to the help of Dreyou Im using the work around of a binary download
of Maven and packages from jpackage repo.  Ive built latest vdsm without
much issue and am setting up my mock environment to rebuild the latest
ovirt-engine release.

Before Dreyou's repo I spent considerable time attempting to rebuild Fedora
SRPMs in EL6 to meet all dependencies but there were numerous circular
dependency issues building maven2 in EL6.  This was before 3.1 and have not
attempted a full dependency build since.

Id be interested in knowing what other challenges exist for an EL6 release
and would like to help where I can.

- Trey