jenkins slaves

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 16:18:20 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 10:08 AM, Douglas Landgraf wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> On 07/11/2012 10:26 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>>
>> On 07/10/2012 10:41 PM, Douglas Landgraf wrote:
>>> Hi Eyal,

>>> ok

>>> hum, could you please provide a detailed example?
>> Douglas, sorry, you happened to arrive just as we are more
>> formally creating the Infra team, which means we are just
>> figuring out how to give out access, and so forth. Your question
>> is a good one, we need to get that up on our wiki page so it's
>> clear what we mean by contributing to get involved.
> Thanks for the feedback. If I could suggest a possible evaluation
> for cases like mine (which require shell access):
>
> * This person contain contributions in the upstream project? (git
> log, wiki, QA, documentation, etc. Could help to determine) * The
> upstream maintainer of project [agree/trust] with that? (need to
> contact maintainer)

Agreed those are valuable. Question is, would that same criteria help
get me commit access to ovirt-engine?

>> In the meantime, if we cannot be your eyes-in-the-shell for you
>> ... I'm wondering if you could diagnose with basic user ssh
>> access? I.e., without sudo. Then another of us can do the actual
>> fix, etc. (That also would be an example of contributing, and
>> similar to how we're looking to set things up with limited ssh,
>> Puppet, configs in git, etc.)
> It could be a good start.  However, still require contact
> additional people (not good for quick fixes).

Part of what we are doing is looking for the balance that lets us keep
services at a professional sysadmin level. We don't want to bog
ourselves down with process, but we want some consistency in what to
do and how to do it (a process) so those with sudo access are
coordinated.

Basically, this means Infra needs to provide training materials to people.

- - Karsten
- --