Infrastructure for Jenkins

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Fri Jul 13 00:50:39 UTC 2012

On 07/12/2012 12:06 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 08:51 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

Yes.  I see getting easy access to the auto-builds in repo's as a top
priority.  Followed by getting the changes needed to build EL6 into
Jenkins and get those auto-builds.  I also would like to get auto-builds
setup for the 3.1 engine so any cheery picked updates will get built and
made available for people without require infra admin time.  Create the
same thing for VDSM if / when a branch gets created.

We have 2 issues that need resolved to get auto builds into repo's
1) We need additional storage on linode01 or we need to move the repo's
to there own system.
2) We need someone with access to both system to get the scripts to move
the data around.  I am sure I could get it done but I would need my
access raised on linode01 and access to the Jenkins Master but this
should be pretty easy once the storage issues is resolved.

EL6 builds the steps that we need.
1) We need to incorporate the EL6 patches so we can build the package.
Do we do it using a EL6 specific .spec files or do we use if statements
inside the exist spec?
2) We need to get builds running on some EL6 based hosts.  I have a few
small hosts I could kick in but both nodes are just 8 cores / 8G of ram
each.
3) Move the nightly over to the repo for EL6 builds.

> I figure we have the Fedora expertise already. Anyone know enough to
> get the Debian/Ubuntu packages building? (Maybe even automate
> populating an Ubuntu PPA?) Same questions for OpenSUSE.
Before we worry about getting them in a PPA we need to worry about
building the packages.  This requires more then Just building oVirt
packages we need to build jboss 7.11 packages and depending on the
Debian version we might requires an newer version of PostgreSQL. There
is a lot of packaging that needs to be done to get oVirt running on
Debian based systems.

> We have a classic chicken-and-egg problem with being of interest to
> the OpenSUSE. Debian, Ubuntu, etc. communities - we need builds to
> generate the interest of people who would want to maintain the
> packages in their downstream distro repo.
Right now the packing needs is so great it is hard to get anyone
interested into build oVirt into there distro but once you have some
working Debian based packages then other Debian maintainers will pick
them up and incorporate them into there respective Distro's