Minutes :: Infra team meeting 2012-07-17

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Jul 18 09:54:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:40:57PM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 07/17/2012 02:29 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> > On 07/17/2012 06:33 PM, Karsten (quaid) Wade wrote:
> >> * ACTION: quaid to get puppet.ovirt.org DNS  (quaid, 14:43:26)
> >
> > do we want puppet directly, or via something like foreman?
>
> It sounds like we have Puppet expertise in the group, I don't know if
> anyone knows about Foreman. Looks inclusive, might be a new skill
> someone wants to tackle.
>
> http://theforeman.org/
>
> I presume we could start using Puppet right away, based on existing
> skills, and transition that work in to Foreman later?
>
> Part of this is we want to be sanely rolling out new hosts, and can do
> that immediately with our Puppet experience. My only concern would be
> if ramp-up time for Foreman delayed that too long. But if ramp-up is
> quick or things can be done in parallel, it definitely sounds interesting.

I have experience with both puppet and foreman. Foreman is a very nice
tool. Foreman is basically a nice frontend for puppet combined with
deployment. Since we have a diverse environment where we mostly can't
directly deploy I think we should just start with puppet for now.
Transitioning will be relative easy anyway.