Moving Jenkins master ASAP

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Tue Jul 31 23:12:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 02:57:56PM -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 02:16 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:

> >>This post is what made me aware that EC2 would be a dead-end for us
> >>for now:
> >>
> >>http://blog.carlmercier.com/2012/01/05/ec2-is-basically-one-big-ripoff/
> >>
> >>In that post, the author used this host for comparison testing:
> >>
> >>http://joesdatacenter.com/
> >My employer is a hosting provider so I'm somewhat biased here.
>
> It not just about the provider.  I would need to see the bandwidth
> charts on the current Jenkins but I assume Just about any provider
> can handle it bandwidth needs.  But the server Jenkins Master needs
> to run on.  EC2 isn't cutting it.  My testing box is a basic Sata
> drive and it is running much faster but there is no user load on the
> box.  We really need a box with raid 10 drives in it to handle the
> high IO needs.

http://jenkins.ekohl.nl/munin/ekohl.nl/jenkins.ekohl.nl/index.html are
the stats of the jenkins slave we (my employer) provide. This is a
production load. Quick analysis shows that IO is limiting at times, but
the high IO peaks correlate to the swap. So adding more than 8GB RAM
would lessen the requirement on the IO. Note that it is currently
running on our SATA SAN, but I don't know the RAID config from the top
of my head.