spam filter

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 16:06:15 UTC 2012

Hi Itamar,

My moderation method is to mostly ignore "email awaiting moderation"
requests unless the subject is ham or it's someone I know. At that
point, I visit the moderation page, check "approved" on that one, and
check the box "mark all messages awaiting moderation as spam". This is
low overhead - and I've found that Thunderbird's spam filter does a
decent job of filtering spam mails in the moderation queue.

I agree that an integrated spam filter in Mailman would be very useful,
and we should add it to the "outstanding RFE" list for the team, but I
don't think it's a high priority for us compared to the other infra
tasks we have on now (website migration to OpenShift hosted MediaWiki +
shipping new theme, getting new servers online and used, migrating
Jenkins to Alter Way hosted server).

Cheers,
Dave.

On 11/06/2012 06:22 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> anyone can help with setting a spam filter to make mailing list
> moderators life easier?
> (i think 9 out of 10 emails to moderate are spam. so it is good only
> moderators get them, but would be nice to reduce the load of these)
>
> Thanks,
>     Itamar

Dave Neary
Community Action and Impact
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13