New repository - infra

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Nov 21 01:13:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:14:40PM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 02:34 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:17:28PM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> >> I'd like to setup a git repository for the Infra team needs:
> >>   - infra
> >>
> >> In addition to being a repo for e.g. Puppet manifests, I'd like to
> >> mirror the repositories we have for OpenShift, as well as the
> >> quickstarts and themes and such we are using that are on GitHub.
> >>
> >> The idea is to have one git repo that has everything, and maybe we make
> >> .git/config rules for folks so when you push it goes to git.ovirt.org
> >> and {github.com/oVirt,OpenShift git}.
> >
> > In general I'm in favor of 1 thing per git repository, but I'd propose
> > *at least* a separate repository for puppet. Foreman has a nice
> > post-update hook that will create a puppet environment per git branch.
>
> OK, I get that. Can you describe a bit more what a "thing" is?

I agree "thing" is rather vague, but in short I'd aim at their relation
and dependency. For example, the website and puppet have little to no
overlap. Most likely they'll have different maintainers and different
deployment methods.

> I can see how many of the things I'd put in git would end up in the
> Puppet repo instead.

Yes, most likely all our scripts will be embedded into our puppet repo.
If they would be widely used you could decide to split them out and
package them as an RPM.

Note that all of the above is traditionally more how you would develop
software, but a visible trend is to start treating infra more as
development which I see as a good thing. It also means it's still
relative young and I don't have that much experience with it so I really
appreciate requests to elaborate or, even better, comments where I could
do better. I make much of it up as I go along ;)