Your message to Arch awaits moderator approval

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 19:19:41 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 10:08 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/26/2012 05:09 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:
>> Dave, that's a good question, which I thought of before writing my
>> initial mail.
>> The simple answer is: "I don't know for sure". Actually is there a way
>> for me to list
>> the members of a specific list?
>
> Only for admins, I'm afraid.

That is true for using the CLI tools, but I think all the lists use the
default Mailman setting for "private_roster" of "List members", meaning
if you are a member of the list you can see the roster. It then shows
you the list users in alphabetical groupings.

For those with sudo access to lists.ovirt.org, you can run:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members $LISTNAME

>> I know there are many users in subscribed to relevant lists (for vdsm,
>> infra, etc), but
>> removing one or more from a thread can actually become an insult. So
>> as a habit I really
>> prefer to avoid it.
>>
>> I really hope that 10 recipients along with mailman removing redundancy
>> will do the trick.
>
> Actually, Karsten already upped the limit to 20, so the question is moot.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you that 10 should be reasonable, but we've
got a cross-list situation where this is going to keep happening, I
think. It's good we've segmented development discussions properly, but
it means cross-posting happens, the recipient list grows, and I'm not
going to get in a minor skirmish with everyone to get them to trim the
recipient fields. :)

>>> Ooh, I didn't know Mailman would do that, that's a great idea. (I
>>> always
>>> like to remove all the extra recipients, but sometimes you don't know
>>> who is on the list or not.)
>
> This is a per-user setting - "Avoid duplicate emails". I imagine that
> the option was set to false by default (I always set it to true). This
> has a double effect - if someone sends an email to the mailing list with
> you CCed, you only get the email once, and your address is removed from
> the CC list.

I haven't made tweaking that setting part of the standard settings for
anything, but maybe it should be.

http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Creating_and_configuring_mailing_lists

> It's not possible for us to change the option for everyone without
> hacking the database, but anyone who would like to have this option on
> can change it themselves on the listinfo page (and if you check "Change
> globally", it will be set for all lists on the server at the same time).

I'd be OK with us hacking the database; IIRC it's not that big a deal,
if it really helps. I reckon we should ask people.

We can also change our standard so new users get the new standard. Any
reasons for or against this?

- Karsten