Testing MoM

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Tue Nov 27 12:01:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 06:55:03AM -0500, Doron Fediuck wrote:
> since mom is now required by vdsm, we'd like to have Jenkins running a
> few tests of vdsm+mom to make sure we have no regressions, etc.
>
> The thing with mom is, that we need a real host to see memory sharing
> (KSM) kicks in correctly, and if the host starts swapping mom tunes
> the VMs memory balloon to fix it.
>
> So basically the question is, if we have a real jenkins slave, which
> we can use as a hypervisor for mom tests. Obviously as a slave it may
> run other tests while vdsm+mom tests are not running.

Right now we only have virtual servers. Physical servers are expected
soon, both from Alter Ways and Red Hat IT. Once we have those servers we
can provide a better service to our developers. Don't pin me down on
this, but I think before the end of this year we should be able to offer
something.

> I thought about nested kvm, but IIUC advanced features such as memory
> balloon may have issues there.

Nested KVM would be nice, but even that is currently not possible
because our too little control over our current VMs.