Hosting offer from Alter Way

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 16:32:58 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 08:55 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 07:24:27PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>
>> I did discuss with Stéphane Vincent, their representative, that we
>> might want to host some services elsewhere - we have previously
>> talked about hosting the website on OpenShift. I've asked him (and
>> am waiting for clarification) on whether that might affect their
>> offer.
>
> I would like this cleared up. Suppose we get another hosting offer we
> still want the freedom to move some services.

+1

I agree we want that flexibility, ultimately. For a comparison, the
model I've been looking toward is the Fedora Project's. They have a
number of hosting-provider sponsors, and that is handled this way:

* There is a big list of all these sponsors at
https://fedoraproject.org/sponsors
* When you go to pages on the website e.g. https://fedoraproject.org/
there is a graphic and link in the right-sidebar that identifies the
hosting sponsor who actually served up that page.

Of course, that system is different than what we have - they have
round-robin DNS setup, etc. But it's a nice idea - you get systems
spread across multiple, unrelated hosts for heavy redundancy, and it's a
clever way to show the very real service the sponsor is providing to the
community.

- Karsten