Planned outage :: MediaWiki update for migration :: 2012-10-04 2200 UTC

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 16:32:02 UTC 2012

We are upgrading our MediaWiki instance this evening. We may need to
reboot the server if there are other updates that require it.

To convert UTC to your local time, run:
  date -d '2012-10-04 22:00 UTC'

== Affected services ==

 wiki.ovirt.org

== Unaffected services ==

These services are unaffected unless a reboot is required:

 www.ovirt.org (MediaWiki)
 lists.ovirt.org (Mailman)
 ovirt.org/releases

These services are unaffected regardless of a reboot:

 gerrit.ovirt.org
 jenkins.ovirt.org

Please join #ovirt on irc.oftc.net or respond to this email to track
the status of this outage.

== Reason for outage ==

I am upgrading our MediaWiki instance in preparation to migrating the
service to use the new theme and run on OpenShift. Previously we
discussed if this pre-migration was necessary, and since then we've
found a MediaWiki page stating that an update to the target version is
needed before moving to a new server.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Moving_a_wiki#Versions_and_upgrading

To do the update, I'll probably put the wiki in read-only mode for a
short time. I'll announce this on IRC (irc.oftc.net #ovirt) a few
minutes in advance.

At the same time, I'll look to make sure other packages are updated. If
there is anything risky, I'll hold off on an update. If a reboot is
required, I will reboot during that time.

If a reboot is required, I will send out a warning a few minutes in
advance on IRC.

I'll generally keep the channel updated during the maintenance window.

- Karsten