Hosting - plans and next steps

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 20:44:44 UTC 2012

We've got 3 main initiatives going on related to hosting right now, two
we've discussed, and one older one now coming to fruition. All the
VMs/hosts provided are to the specs discussed on this list - 4 to 8
cores, 8 to 16 GB RAM, fast hard disk, etc. or equivalent portions thereof.

* Alter Way hosting:
** We're ready to move Jenkins master to Alter Way ASAP.
** What are the next steps here?
*** Disclosure: Some of this discussion is going to involve us reaching
out to other people in Red Hat to review the hosting
arrangement/agreement. There is a balance here of transparency; for
example, Alter Way may not typically expect a hosting "customer" to
expose all the details of the contract to the world. We want to work to
a consensus on where to draw the transparency line. This is still an
open topic.
*** Stephane Vincent is on this list now I think? What do you think
about this topic and where to draw the transparency line?

* OpenShift hosting:
** Strictly speaking, this is a platform-as-a-service, so it provides
the pieces we need to run MediaWiki as www.ovirt.org.
** We now have the namespace *-ovirt.rhcloud.com and it has the
capability to load more apps than a standard no-cost account. We can
move over or create:
*** etherpad.ovirt.org (etherpad-ovirt.rhcloud.com)
*** mlstats.ovirt.org (...)
*** www.ovirt.org
*** Other quickstarts: https://github.com/openshift/

* Red Hat IT:
** As part of their initiative to help open source community projects,
my colleagues in Red Hat IT are providing additional hosts for oVirt
(and other projects, ongoing.)
** Details are still being worked on, including timing, but it is in the
near-term (thus I'm bringing it up now.)
** External community access as root to at least one bare metal server
is one of the MUST requirements being met with this.
*** We may have the option to have managed OS, but I'm don't see
anything we could take advantage of there that OpenShift doesn't give us.
*** These are available for as long as we want them.
** Additional bare metal and/or handful of VMs are going to be available.
*** Our original spec going in was two 4 to 8 core, 8 to 16 GB RAM, fast
disk hosts, so we can run our own virtualization, oVirt instance, bare
metal tests, whatever.
** My thoughts on how to use these hosts:
*** Jenkins slaves - the more the merrier, right?
*** Mirror/backup other services - create failover/availability for our
services by mirroring Mailman, Jenkins master, Gerrit, etc.
*** Setup our own oVirt instance?
** What are your ideas on how to use these hosts?

Regarding the latter two hosting opportunities:  As Red Hat is already a
sponsor of oVirt, accepting additional sponsorship infrastructure that
fits in to our needs didn't seem to me like anything we needed to ask
the Board about. If you think I'm wrong, please say so.

Cheers - Karsten