Task tracker

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Sat Sep 1 20:38:06 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

+1 on using this at least to start.  Not ideal, given that it's not ovirt.org domain, but working right now wins in my book.

We should keep our eyes/ears open for other solutions though.

Side comment, if we want to deploy our own, it could be a good POC for someone looking to join the infra team.

> > One idea Mike suggested is, this Trac instance is gathering dust
> > and
> > available to take over (and re-customize):
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/ovirt
> >
> > We could start using this immediately, and switch in the future. It
> > is
> > Trac, I've had varied experience with it; I know how to admin it
> > fairly well, and we can customize it to this team with minimal
> > effort.
> > (Nice to not have to invest too much in making a workflow.) My
> > biggest
> > concern right now would be running at a larger scale - what happens
> > over time? What happens if other project teams want an integrated
> > task
> > tracker? (The latter would make project management and getting an
> > organized release out the door easier.)
> >
> > I looked around at the current state of FOSS tools that are offered
> > as
> > a service, and didn't get too excited.
> >
> > http://www.hostedredmine.com/
> > https://ovirt-infra.teamlab.com
> >
> > I've also looked at teambox.com in the past, but their no-cost
> > services are limited. (They also haven't released any timeline or
> > roadmap about open sourcing the latest version, the older versions
> > are
> > FOSS; I haven't looked at what it would take to run the service
> > ourselves.)
> >
> > There are several services that are FOSS and we could run
> > ourselves,
> > such as the above Trac and Redmine.
> >
> > I strongly urge us to avoid using services that are not FOSS. There
> > are many competitive ones in the proprietary markets, and a few
> > offer
> > no-cost usage for open source projects. I get concerned about
> > locking
> > our data and workflows in to a particular vendor. I would rather
> > pick
> > the best-of FOSS and be a strong user to support more development
> > on
> > our choice. Unfortunately, this does limit our choices in what is
> > offered as a service.

+1000