revised download page mockup

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 21:33:12 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 11:58 AM, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Based on some feedback from the IRC meeting yesterday, I've scaled back
> the changes needed from oVirt for the download page and designed an
> alternate that we could use for the immediate future.

This looks very nice, Garrett.

Some comments/thoughts:

The minimum RAM for ovirt is 4GB. You can get by with less, but the
engine-setup script won't run if it detects less RAM. There is a command
line argument, --no-mem-check, that disables the minimum memory check.

If we're going for simplicity, we may want to go with the
ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone as the suggested package to install.
This way, you come out of these directions ready to create and run VMs.
For a complete setup, it may be that the steps required are too many to
include on this page. We could link to the quick start guide here:
http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Quick_Start_Guide.

Right now, oVirt only works with Fedora and CentOS/RHEL. We shouldn't
give people the wrong idea about multi-distro possibilities. Someone
could get the engine app running on jboss on a different platform, but
vdsm, an essential component for doing anything w/ ovirt, is very much
tied to fedora/el right now.

I really like the "you can help us make ovirt easy to run everywhere"
link -- we need that help!

@jasonbrooks