revised download page mockup

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Sep 12 13:18:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 08:58:51PM +0200, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> Based on some feedback from the IRC meeting yesterday, I've scaled
> back the changes needed from oVirt for the download page and
> designed an alternate that we could use for the immediate future.
>
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/oVirt/website/mockup-1/download-alt.html
>
> It's based on what is currently on oVirt.org, with some minor changes:
> • simplification of the installation steps
> • inclusion of system requirements and some summary text at the top
>
> As I wanted to communicate what each section would say, I wrote some
> filler text that should be somewhat close to the idea of what we
> might want to use. However, the text on this page is very rough in
> comparison to the other pages, so please keep this in mind.

First of all, I do like the new design.

= Navigation =
Should the navigation label be different from the page header? I do like
'get started', maybe more than 'download'. OTOH, getting started might
be ambigous because a user has a different starting point than a
developer. Perhaps this is no issue because there's already a develop
link as well.

= Alignment of numbers =
Right now they're not in the center and that kind of drives me insane ;)

= Other distros =
Personally I love the idea of supporting different distros and we should
encourage people to adopt theirs / get a porting effort going. Maybe
this page could use a small text with pointers on how to do that?
(Though I'm not sure if we currently have such a thing.)

Keep up the good work.