revised download page mockup

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 18:04:53 UTC 2012

On 09/11/2012 11:33 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
> This looks very nice, Garrett.

Thanks!

> Some comments/thoughts:
>
> The minimum RAM for ovirt is 4GB. You can get by with less, but the
> engine-setup script won't run if it detects less RAM. There is a
> command line argument, --no-mem-check, that disables the minimum
> memory check.

Thanks for the correction!

It was a placeholder to express the desire for minimum requirements on
that page — but accuracy even on mockups is a great thing, so I'm
modifying them now.

Do you know the other requirements too? Such as hard disk space, etc. —
or anything I might be leaving out…?

> If we're going for simplicity, we may want to go with the
> ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone as the suggested package to
> install. This way, you come out of these directions ready to create
> and run VMs. For a complete setup, it may be that the steps required
> are too many to include on this page. We could link to the quick start
> guide here: http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Quick_Start_Guide.

That's the intent of the original download mockup:
http://people.redhat.com/glesage/oVirt/website/mockup-1/download.html
&
Info:
http://people.redhat.com/glesage/oVirt/website/background-info/design-download.html

 From my understanding, it'll take effort from multiple people to get
the all-in-one install ISO working how we want it to.

The goal of the download-alt mockup was to make sure we can move forward
with the website and still launch in the near future, even if the
all-in-one ISO isn't quite yet ready.

(Hopefully we can move to the fully packaged version soon, as I think
it's conceptually friendlier to those installing oVirt.)

> Right now, oVirt only works with Fedora and CentOS/RHEL. We shouldn't
> give people the wrong idea about multi-distro possibilities.

Agreed.

That's why I focused on using Fedora in both download page mockups and
added a plea-for-help.

When other OSes are 100% *fully* supported in an all-in-one install ISO,
we could then (perhaps) add some way to switch the page when we're
comfortable enough that they work. Until that time, I firmly believe
having a recommended install path with links to secondary support is fine.

> Someone could get the engine app running on jboss on a different
> platform, but vdsm, an essential component for doing anything w/
> ovirt, is very much tied to fedora/el right now.

For the time being, "other distros" just means having the management UI
running on various platforms, and that everyone using oVirt is using
Fedora/RHEL/RHEL-derivative doing the heavy lifting on the servers, right?

What's the general plan & timeframe for getting VDSM et al. working
cross-distro, so that all of oVirt can run everywhere?

Garrett