the new oVirt website: live preview!

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 12:16:17 UTC 2012

On 09/19/2012 03:38 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> Awesome job to base it on mediawiki.

Thanks!

> I love having a single place to edit the site, guarded by permissions
> for stuff like the frontpage.

Yeah, I think it'll make a much more cohesive site, and would make it
easier for everyone to edit everything (provided they have permissions
to do so — but I'm only suggesting the main pages be locked down to a
select group).

> How easy to maintain is it when we want to upgrade mediawiki?

Two of my main goals when making this were to make the site:
1) editable by all
2) easily maintainable for the oVirt infrastructure team

A complimentary goal was to make the skin:
3) reusable by others

I met all three above goals by basing it on MediaWiki's default theme
"Vector" (although it has a lot of changes) and also on Twitter's
Bootstrap, so that we would benefit from updates from both projects, and
we can use formatting from each. (Basically: Near-instant documentation
and support for updates!)

Since I intentionally made the base skin reusable, it *could* easily be
picked up by other sites. (The oVirt theme is just a little layer on top
of the MediaWiki skin that simply changes the fonts and colors and adds
a little bit of oVirt style elsewhere in the site too.) The more popular
it is elsewhere, the more bugfixes, improvements, and quick updates to
new MediaWiki versions we'll get.

> Haven't checked it in-depth yet but I'm wondering if the search should
> be promoted to the top navigation.

I've gotten a lot of feedback about that. I'm going to consider ways to
fit it in.

It's probably useful to point out that oVirt.org, right now, doesn't
have a working search (try searching for "download", "git", etc.) — yet
it's one of the most prominent elements. The theme, as-is, is a huge
step in the right direction, as search actually *works*. (The results
still need to be a bit beautified, but that's on the todo.)

Also, I strongly believe search shouldn't be *needed* on a site... but
it's good to have, however. People should be able to find the content
they're looking for without having to resort to a search. On a website,
search should secondary to navigation and hyperlinked content, used when
all else fails.

> Also would like to a see a difference in existing and non-existing links.

It's actually there in the CSS, but I commented it out for now, as most
all of the links are non-existing.

Here's how it works:

* When you're signed in, right now the links turn orange. I could make
them red (like the default) or underlined or strikethrough — or even
blink (if we really wanted to). I could also display icons or text
before or afterward too.

* When you're *not* signed in, I will have it so that the link doesn't
change color or change the mouse when it is hovered. (Basically: it
looks like the text on the rest of the page.) Naturally, since we don't
have much content on this website preview right now, and I wanted to
display what it _would_ look like on the actual site, I decided to
disable this feature for the time being.

-=-=-

Thanks for the feedback!
Garrett