SSL

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Apr 3 14:26:59 UTC 2013

I think foreman and smartproxy will use the puppet certificate
infrastructure (as is default in the foreman installer), so that leaves
us with a few others.

Pro for a wildcard is that it's easy. You can secure lots of services
with just one certificate. Con is that if one service is compromised and
the private key leaks, you need to replace the certificate on all
services.

Given we want to set up everything and still starting up I'm favoring
ease thus a wildcard.

Regarding security I hope that we eventually can use DNSSEC + DANE so we
can use self-signed certificates (so without a CA), but also without the
downsides of nobody trusting it. That will require RH IT to support
DNSSEC and much wider adoption of DNSSEC and DANE but I strongly believe
this will be the future of SSL certificates. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS-based_Authentication_of_Named_Entities