Odd errors on vdsm_unit_tests

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 21:47:52 UTC 2013

On Thu 11 Apr 2013 11:36:27 PM CEST, David Caro wrote:
> On Thu 11 Apr 2013 11:22:00 PM CEST, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>> Jenkins used to send email notifications about unit tests failures to
>> vdsm-patches at lists.fedorahosted.org at least until March 20.
>>
>> Come to think of it, the emails seized to have content on March 5.
>>
>> Now they are not sent at all.
>>

> I think I'm not on that list, I'll sign up and look at it, see if I can
> figure out something.
>
>> Beyond this, we have a very odd non-deterministic failure
>> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/1976/console
>> (except below).
>>
>> Could the test be run with an unusual locale?
>> Does anybody have another idea?
>>
>> Could someone (Giuseppe? David?) log into this fedora18-vm01 slave and try to
>> reproduce the issue from the command line?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dan.

>> ERROR: test_deviceCustomProperties (hooksTests.TestHooks)
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/jenkins-workspaces/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/tests/hooksTests.py", line 125, in test_deviceCustomProperties
>>     params={'customProperty': ' rocks!'})
>>   File "/jenkins-workspaces/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/vdsm/hooks.py", line 72, in _runHooksDir
>>     scriptenv[k] = unicode(v).encode('utf-8')
>> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)

>> ERROR: test_runHooksDir (hooksTests.TestHooks)
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/jenkins-workspaces/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/tests/hooksTests.py", line 72, in test_runHooksDir
>>     res = hooks._runHooksDir(DOMXML, dirName)
>>   File "/jenkins-workspaces/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/vdsm/hooks.py", line 72, in _runHooksDir
>>     scriptenv[k] = unicode(v).encode('utf-8')
>> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> About that error, yes, Me and Antoni Segura (apuimedo) troubleshot it,
> the problem is that one of the developers has non ascii letter on it's
> name, passing it to the author tag on gerrit, that loads it on
> GERRIT_*_AUTHOR env variable. Not sure if antoni is working on a patch
> or notified someone though.
>
> --
> David Caro
>
> Red Hat Czech s.r.o.
> Continuous Integration Engineer - EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
>
> Tel.: +420 532 294 605
> Email: dcaro at redhat.com
> Web: www.cz.redhat.com
> Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkyňova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
> RHT Global #: 82-62605

Forgot to mention, the error that bugs me is this one:

http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_unit_tests_gerrit/1962/console

We had several of those today and it all seemed to stop when I set the
core dump limit to 'unlimited' (ulimit -c). I saw that before with one
patch but subsequent patches worked, so I did not investigate further.
As far as I know, the problem is that the test testIsSuperUp somehow
end up killing the jenkins slave process (if you run it manually you
get a message that says 'killed' in the console). That test seems to
mess with threads and processes and maybe it just identifies the slave
process as the one to stop (just a wild guess :S).

--
David Caro

Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Tel.: +420 532 294 605